Saturday, July 30, 2011

Found a New Hobby

This past week I was in Joplin, MO working a running camp. I went as part of my sports medicine rotation. The camp had about 200 kids at all levels 7th-12th grade. I learned so much while I was there as far as evaluating injuries, deciding if an x-ray is needed, and how to treat certain injuries. I just loved it! I also chose to run with the kids during the workouts. I figured, I'm there why not get a good work out in too.

I have never been much of a runner, so I wasn't sure how this would go. Eric and I have been doing P90X since June, and I have lost 10 lbs so far. I think maybe 4 times since June I have gone running with him. We would run a mile and that would be it. I just couldn't push myself to run any further.

I started my fellowship July 1, and one of the fellows is a runner. Janelle ran in highschool and college. She even runs local races around KC. I thought hey maybe she will be my motivation to give running a try. We ran on the treadmill twice prior to camp. She had me jog 5 minutes, walk 1 minute, jog 5, walk 1, etc. The first time it was a total of 15 minutes jogging. The second time I jogged a total of 20 minutes. This was the longest I've ever run. I was so excited.

Well at Running Camp, we got up at 5:30 to run before it got too hot. The first day we were told to run 25 minutes. I ran with the slowest group and ended up running 2.5 miles. That's the longest ever! The next morning we only ran for 20 minutes, and I ran 2.17 miles. Still proud of my success. The third morning we ran for 30 minutes, which ended up being 2.75 miles for me. WOOHOO!!! I was getting so excited about running and proud of myself for doing it.

Well on Friday morning we had the end of camp 5K. I had never ran a 5K, but my goal was to do it. I was in the very back of the group but I completed it without walking. That's all that mattered. I completed the 5K in 33:36 WOOHOO!!! There was this HUGE hill after the first mile. The hill slowed me down to a 16 minute pace. It was such a hard hill to run for my first 5K. I was shooting for a 30 minute 5K, but the hill slowed me down a ton. Oh well! I'm still proud that I did it. I plan on continuing the running along with our P90X workout. I'll keep you posted on how things go.

All sweaty after finishing my first 5K. Thanks Janelle for pushing me and believing in me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment