Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Paging Dr. Adcock

I am happy to say that I have decided on what I want to be when I grow up.

Drum Roll Please.........




I'm going to be a Child Psychiatrist.

Ever since I wanted to go into medicine, I knew that I wanted to do something with kids. I just love the little ones. Well then I really enjoyed my psych lectures and started thinking why not combine the two. I did an elective rotation for a month in Child Psychiatry and loved it! Now you're probably thinking but how can you handle that.

That's the thing. These kids need someone to advocate for them. During my month I saw a wide range of illnesses. I saw a lot of ADHD. I also saw a lot of PTSD from kids who were abused or sexually violated. We had a 16 year old who was addicted to cocaine, in trouble with the law who 2 days prior to his appointment revealed to the rehab center he was at that he was sexually violated by his uncle when we was 7. He had been keeping this a secret for 9 years! I look forward to helping these kids.

Another love of mine is the autism spectrum disorders. I don't know why but those kids just get to my heart. Well I found out about a non-profit organization here in Kansas City, Joshua Center. They see autism, aspergers, tourette syndrome, and ocd. They have a therapist for the kids as well as social skills classes to help these children learn every day things such as phone etiquette, how to have conversations in public, how to react to every day situations, etc. Well I met with the director yesterday, and I'm very excited to start volunteering with this organization. They have a summer camp that I'm going to try and be a counselor for as long as my school schedule permits. I will also attend some social skills classes. Super excited!

It's such a relief to finally know what I want to be when I grow up! Now if only I knew where residency will be.....


No comments:

Post a Comment