Sweet Potato Cake & Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 small or 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- ½ cups brown sugar (I use Splenda's Brown Sugar so it's only 1/4 cup)
- 4 eggs (1 cup egg substitute= 4 eggs)
- 1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar (I use Splenda which is a 1:1 ratio)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 ounces Fat Free cream cheese at room temperature
- 1½ cups powdered sugar (Wasn't sure what I could substitute for a healthier frosting)
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature (again, didn't know what to substitute here)
- 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 pan (or 2 8-inch cake pans). Combine the oil, butter, and sugars and mix for about 1 minute to help dissolve the sugar. Add in the eggs and mix til combined. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and stir into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the shredded sweet potatoes. Pour into cake pans and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (if it starts to get too brown on top just cover with a piece of foil). Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream together the cream cheese and butter until soft and fluffy. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
I made mine in the 9 x13 cake pan. I cut it into smaller squares, 8 x 4. They came out to be about 125 calories per square. Not too bad for a cake with cream-cheese frosting.