Sunday, January 10, 2010

House Update

So an update on the house...

I did not stay at my place last week with all of the fans going. It was really loud and just depressing seeing everything. I came back to the house Thursday afternoon to meet the guys from Service Master. They were coming to check everything and hopefully remove all of the fans.

Well right when they got in and looked at the one trouble spot I had, one of the guys said, "Uh Rob we have something leaking." First thing in my mind was crap another pipe busted while I was gone. They told me to check the bathrooms. I ran upstairs to the bathroom to find water on the floor. The tank to the toilet was still running. The fill valve never shut it off; you know the little thing that floats up to the top and turns it off. This had nothing to do with the cold or anything; just coincidence that it happened right after the pipe busted.

So they checked things out and yep more water damage. There is an 8 in x 8 in square and a 3 in x 8 in rectangle on the wall going down the stairs that are wet. Then my pantry ceiling is soaked and the corner of the pantry. I called the insurance and I would have to file a 2nd claim and pay another $1000 deductible for them to cover it. I don't think this damage is $1000.

I talked to the guys at service master that were here and they said if they tried to dry it out like they did for the busted pipe that would cost over $1000. They recommended cutting out those 2 squares of wet sheetrock and patching them. Then to cut down the ceiling to the pantry and remove the pantry walls. They said that would be the cheapest on the pocket book. My ceiling in the pantry already needs to be replaced bc there was water damage up there back in July 2008 when my toiled seal was broken. (the home warranty fixed the toilet but wouldn't fix the secondary damage due to the water)

I am now back in my house thank goodness. It is still a mess from everything but atleast I am back home. 2010 has not started out as a great year :(

No comments:

Post a Comment