Sunday, September 25, 2011

Running Update

You may recall that I started running back in July. Well I guess I should update you on how that's going.

I am still running at least 3 times a week since running camp. I have my first official race this Saturday in Independence, MO. The Joshua Center, the non-profit I volunteer at, is having a fundraiser race. I'm so excited for this to be my first official race. What better way than to run for the kids.

Back in July at the running camp, my 5k time was 33:36. My original goal was to get that under 30 minutes for the run on October 1st. Well as I continued running, I soon realized that was too easy of a goal. I decided ok lets shoot for 25 minutes. Well I hadn't come close to that. Two weeks ago I ran it in 27:10 and felt a feeling of defeat. I thought there is no way I can get under 25 in just 2 weeks. I then changed my goal to be under 27 minutes. I thought that was still really good considering that's 6 minutes faster than what I started.

Well today when I set out for my run, I thought ok I'm going to run 3.1 and run it HARD. I just wanted to see what I could do. I had my phone set to tell me my progress every .5 miles, so that way I could tell how I was doing. At the first .5 mile, I was at 3:45. I thought there's no way I'm running faster than an 8 minute pace. Sure enough, I finished the first mile in 7:49. I was super excited! I slowed my 2nd mile down a little bit. I ended up running 5K in 25:27. Not too bad! I was very pleased. I'm not going to lie, the run kicked my butt. I'm super excited for the actual run on Saturday. I will for sure have Eric take a picture before, during, and after. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment