Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Birth Story: At the Hospital

8:30 am: We got to the hospital and went to triage.  I was contracting every 3 minutes.  I was at 3 cm 100% effaced, -2 station.  The doctor decided it was time to admit me.

9:30 am: We got moved to our room labor and delivery room, 3604.  I was contracting every 2-3 minutes at this point.  I did not like laying down during the contractions, so I just stood up and walked around the room.

10:30 am: They hooked up my first bag of antibiotics for being GBS+.  My doctor came in to check me.  I was so glad my doctor was going to be the one to deliver this little one.  Eric and I both really liked her and trusted her with our care.  5 cm YAY!!!

11:00 am: I decided it was time to get an epidural.  Man that thing was awesome.  I was actually able to move my legs pretty good after getting the epidural, but I could not feel a single contraction.  It really helped me to relax and just enjoy this entire process.  Eric says after this point the day got boring as he didn't have anything to do haha.  We had the Olympics on and I tried to close my eyes to take a nap.  I was just too excited to sleep.

Feeling pretty good now.
1:00 pm: I was now 6 cm, and my bag was nice and tight "ready to pop" according to my nurse

1:45 pm: My doctor came in to check me.  I was at 7cm, and baby was at +1 station.  She broke my water.   There was meconium present which just means the baby had her first bowel movement while still in my tummy.  It doesn't mean the baby is under stress or anything is wrong.  They do however take precautions and the NICU team had to be present during the delivery and Eric would not be able to cut the umbilical cord.  They don't want baby to cry and aspirate the fluid which would cause the meconium to go into the baby's lungs.  This can cause a lot of complications including pneumonia.  We were ok with this and didn't stress over the fact that the baby had already had a bowel movement.

Our last family photo of just the two of us.
2:30 pm: I started feeling lots of pressure but not pain.

2:45 pm:  9.5 cm and baby was at +2 station.

3:25 pm: The pressure was just getting so bad.  At this point I was complete and ready to push but we had to wait for the doctor.

3:45 pm: My doctor got there and said ok lets see how well you push.

4:04 pm: Baby Adcock is here!  I heard someone say, she.  I asked so is it a girl?  The doctor was like oh yes it's a girl.  With the umbilical cord and meconium they were just wanting to make sure baby was ok.  Eric and I just looked at each other with these huge grins and tears in our eyes.  Our daughter was now here.

Because of everything that happened, I did not get to do skin to skin right away.  They took her right over to the warmer and suctioned her out nice and good, so she wouldn't have any meconium go into her lungs.  Her APGAR scores were a 7 and 8 which is good.  They had to hold a little oxygen mask by her face for 3 1/2 minutes, but other than that she was doing great!
Daddy finally getting to touch our baby girl.
4:30 pm: Baby was now skin to skin and got to nurse for the first time.
Now a family of 3.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't this just the best thing ever! I started crying reading your posts because it made me think back to last year when Hudson came into this world! Alexis is beautiful! Congratulations sweet friend!